Re: Re: PHP Warning: HTTP request failed -- BSD resource limit reached?

On 19-Nov-08, at 12:52 PM, Nathan Rixham wrote:

Rene Fournier wrote:
Hi,
I have four identical command-line PHP scripts running, and each will frequently fetch some data from another server via file_get_contents(). By frequently, I mean on average, every second. Periodically, one of the processes (command-line PHP scripts), will fail on file_get_contents(), with the error message:

first thing that springs to mind is some form of hardware limitation, quite sure it's not php - could be a firewall with flood protection (or even your own isp's anti malware set-up) to combat it try binding the outgoing request to a random ip each time (if you have multiple ip's on the box) [context: socket -> bindto]

That could explain it, except that all the traffic is on the same LAN. There's no firewall between Server A and Servers B and C.

next up (very unlikely) but possibly outgoing port conflict where the previous local port is still closing whilst trying to be re- opened.

That's interesting. I will look into that.

to get an ideal fix though you'll want to move away from file_get_contents() as you're not doing things

Yes, I've also read that CURL is preferred to file_get_contents for reasons of performance and security. I'm going to try that too.

the most efficient way; HTTP/1.1 allows you to keep a port open and make multiple requests through the same socket/connection, simply keep the socket open and don't send a connection: close header after the request. (i say simply but you'll be needing to make you're own, or find a good, http handler that allows you to write raw requests and decode the raw http responses that come back)

best of luck; feel free to post your code incase anything jumps out as obvious.

I will let you know how it goes. Thanks for the advice!

...Rene