user access/roles/privs functionality

Hi list...

I need a way of managing users/teams/etc.. implementing roles/access
rights/privs,etc...

I'd like a way of being able to have users "report to" the resource above
them, ie, the ability to have a hierarchical kind of tree approach would be
good as wel, as this would allow different user/mgr/teams to be moved
up/down in the tree as required.

If I can find the right process, I'll implement it in my targeted app. I'd
prefer something that's fairly well compartmentalized.. but if need be, I'm
willing to rip the right system out of it's parent app if I can find one
that's good!!!

I've reviewed the systems in the vtiger/knowledgetree apps.

thoughts/comments/pointers would be useful!

thanks!