Re: Missing DLLs

On 12 Nov 2008, at 17:31, ceo@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
So, that error message about a missing DLL, when it's really a "sub" DLL that is missing...

Is that something in PHP source that could be fixed to specify WHICH dll is really missing?

Or is that just Windows being stupid?

Mr. Spock has calculated that a quick hack change to that error message to be more specific would save approximately 3,141.59 man-hours per week...

:-)

I'm happy to put it in bugs.php.net as a feature request, if it's actually IN php, but don't want to waste the resources to mark it as junk if there's no way PHP could do that.

It's been a while since I've done Windows development, but IIRC PHP will only be able to tell that the DLL could not be loaded, I don't believe Windows exposes exactly what the problem was. It could probably be done by examining the external symbols on the DLL and manually checking for the presence of those DLLs in the path, but that seems like overkill.

So I must add "long live unix logging system"...

While actually I doesn't seems like an overkill but it really is.

While the accuracy of this error message is not great there's enough info out there for it to be a short-lived issue for most people making the effort required to improve it better spent on other problems.

-Stut

In this case at least. Because I can recall other times that you got the urge to hit your head on the keyboard multiple times (or perhaps the keyboard on the screen) in order to get over the fact that the problem that caused the error was so ...king obvious. On the other hand windowz in the same situation were logging what happened to the last episode in the Clone Wars (animated series).

So I will stick to my LAMP server for the moment until I start feeling that that my masochism side is coming on top. In that case I might deleop something using Microsoft's magnificent OS.

I have actually saw what I've posted so forgive my poor english. I hope that I will get better some day and stop torturing people that read what I write.

--
Thodoris