Re: PHP and Cyrus problem

Richard Heyes wrote:
...PHP for webmail.

Did you know you can use Gmail for webmail, even having the From:
address set to your own domain? It will require a little more setup
(well, with ten thousand mailboxes that would be "a lot") but you end
with one of the best webmail clients there is.

While this is a little off topic there are lots of reasons not to do this. For one, the IMAP support in GMail, while very welcome, does have different paradigms than traditional email systems. I actually prefer the GMail approach of labels rather than "real" folders, but until this is exported as part of the IMAP protocol and clients like thunderbird support and are aware of it, it's sadly quite clunky to work with. (things like copying/moving mails is bit of a headfuk cos you're not really copying them, you're labeling them and it shouldn't be purged from the inbox, because the inbox is just a "new mail" filter etc. etc.

As the original problem showed a IMAP+Webmail solution, I'd imagine IMAP support and a dedicated client is important.

Col

--

Colin Guthrie
gmane(at)colin.guthr.ie