Re: Random number generator

On Thu, 11/6/08, WEISD <pzig@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > That is strange. I get pretty balanced results on this
> computer.
> >
> > <?php
> >
> > $histogram = array_fill(1, 10, 0);
> >
> > $iterations = 200000;
> >
> > for ($i = 0; $i < $iterations; ++$i) {
> >    ++$histogram[round(rand(1, 10))];
> > }
> >
> > print_r($histogram);
> >
> > ?>
> >
> > Andrew
>
> Simple code,
>
> <?php
> $number = rand(1, 10);
>
> include("footer$number.html"); ?>
>
> You can see it in action here at the bottom of the page
> there is a footer.
> Each footer is the same right now except I have numbered
> them for testing.
>
> As I refresh the page,  I get footer10 almost always with
> an occasional 2 or
> 4 here and there...
>
> http://www.weisd.com/store2/WINHD-9022.php

Computer functions to generate random numbers are not designed to do what their name suggests.

Software testing requires repeatability, and this includes random number generation.

Without knowing how PHP seeds the generator it is difficult to predict what it will do.

I still think taking the last digit of the current time is your best solution.

Stephen