RE: removing text from a string

Yeah, I think people under-estimate the performance of (SIMPLE) Regular Expressions for text manipulation and searching. As long as you don't have like 15 nested groups and callbacks and optional chars/groups out the wazoo in your PCRE pattern, it will be very quick: it was designed with efficiency and speed in mind.

I feel it's also worth mentioning that it may be worthwhile to lean towards RegEx functions for text searching/manipulation so that there is a consistency between methods throughout your code. 15 regex patterns may be better than intermingling xtrim(), strstr(), stripos(), str_replace(), etc... and are probably more easily-readable than scanning 15 10-line algorithms to discern their purpose.

Just a thought.

Todd Boyd
Web Programmer
RegEx Fan (but not Fanatic)