Recursive Directory Listing

New to PHP development, new to the list; searched the archives but
didn't find an answer (or at least nothing i could successfully
adapt).

I have a (readable) directory structure like so:

../navigation
    /cats
    /dogs
        /beagles
        /collies
            /some/other/dirs/
    /horses

I need to display those directories in nested html lists (marked up
with css). Using PHP on the above, I'd like to produce the following
HTML:

<ul>
    <li>cats</li>
    <li>dogs
        <ul>
            <li><collies>
            </li>
        </ul>
    </li>
    <li>horses</li>
</ul>

I'm able to display one level deep (cats, dogs, horses), but not nest
the lists accordingly. Since this is for a navigation structure,
obviously I'll have anchors in the <li></li> lines. They'll be
formatted like so
href="index.php?section=dogs&chapter=collies&verse=some .

Some details about my environment:
1) no files will be in the /navigation (or sub) dirs, but i'd
(ideally) like to define a depth, to prevent >3-4 levels of
navigation.
2) I can successfully exclude dirs (. and .. and anything else I define)
3) the actual PHP script probably won't be in the /navigation
directory, so I'll need a defined starting path (ie, $root =
/site/docs/includes/navigation/ or somesuch...).
4) no database access (otherwise this whole contraption wouldn't be an issue...)

Any help is greatly appreciated, thank you in advance.
--joe