Re: Waste of storage space?

Bastien Koert wrote:

Thank you for your respons.

I have thought of such a sorting mechanism too. But on the other hand, the
biggest drawback would be that even minor changes that might be really
important could get lost. And my goal is to really keep track on everything
my users do. And, in the long run, the problem with the database that
eventually could/will grow very large in size, is not solved.

//frank

..please keep responses on list.

I think you need to look at a lifetime value of the text element. Do they
age at all? suggesting that you could archive them off if they are not being
used after a certain period of time. You can also isolate the text portion
of this to one table and then consider things like partitioning the table
for speed.

We do something similar here and in one table we have +220000 records taking
up 112Mb of space. But we can archive off eveything that is 7 years and
older

And lets face it, on the issue of size, disk space is cheap.

Hi,

Ok, disk space is cheap, but you can't avoid the access/seek time penalty on this.

- Unomi -