clean data

I have a project now where we would like to properly remove unwanted data
before it goes into the db such as ` and of course slashes.  The problem is
I have tons of pages.  Is there an easy way to add in a clean up routine on
the db side to clean it going in and coming out without having to touch each
page that inserts it into the db and each page that presents it?

I'm using a MySQL db.

Thanks!