Re: CSV Files

On Wed, Oct 22, 2008 at 10:15 PM, Jason Todd Slack-Moehrle
<mailinglists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Oct 22, 2008, at 6:58 PM, Stut wrote:
>
>> On 23 Oct 2008, at 02:41, Jason Todd Slack-Moehrle wrote:
>>>
>>> Actually i am ending the row headers with a chr(10); // LINE FEED
>>
>> From the code you included in your original post...
>>
>>> echo "/n";
>>

>> There was no mention of chr(10).
>>
>> Outputting data in CSV format is not hard. Simply echo the header row if necessary, followed by "\n". Then output each line taking care to put string values in quotes which means you also need to escape quotes in the data. After each line echo "\n". That's really all there is to it.
>>
>> If you're still having problems I suggest you post the exact code you're using, anything else just makes it harder for us to provide effective help.
>>
>> -Stut

> Oh, I am not putting quotes around each field that i get from MySQL. There are no quotes in the data so that is good.
>
> Sorry I put "/n" and I meant to put chr(10).
>
> -Jason

Jason, one of the points that Stut was trying to explain is that "\n"
and chr(10) are the same thing. They are just two different ways to
refer to a newline (line feed) character. Most of us probably use "\n"
rather than chr(10) in PHP, though. So, the following two lines are
equivalent:

<?php
echo "Item1, Item2, Item3" . chr(10);

// Note this uses double quotes.
echo "Item1, Item2, Item3\n";

// It won't be the same at all if you use single quotes
echo 'Item1, Item2, Item3\n';

?>

At any rate, you are correct that you need a line feed/newline
character at the end of every row in CSV including the header row.

Andrew