Re: Difficulty navigating symlinks

Jim Lucas wrote:
Seth Foss wrote:
Hi everyone,

I am trying to run multiple sites on the same server, that have mostly
identical code - a pre-built application.

Anyway, I would like to save  disk space by specifying independent
configuration files for each site, then using symbolic links to access
the rest of the code for the application.

I have managed to configure apache so one such directory is accessed via
a symlink, which is ok. However, a file within the linked directory
attempts to include the configuration file (../config.php) from the
actual parent directory instead of the directory containing the symlink.

Is there any way to configure apache or php to trace back the symlink
when using '..', or can that only go one direction?

Thanks,
Seth

You can set the include path for your code to include the parent directory
from where the symlink is and then remove the ../ part of the call.

Jim,

I had considered that, but I plan to have multiple directories following symlinks to the same place.

For example,

/var/www/site1 has a config.php and a symlink to var/www/universal/app
while
/var/www/site2 has a different config.php and a symlink to var/www/universal/app

var/www/universal/app has an index.php with include(../config.php) that needs the config from the site that is using it (i.e., sometimes site1, sometimes site2)

Does that make sense? Or did I misunderstand your suggestion?

Thanks,
Seth