Re: php "make test" failures

Thanks Jochem - much appreciated

Jochem Maas wrote the following on 10/20/2008 6:12 PM:
Michael McCallister schreef:
Greetings PHP List,

I have run php4 for many years and am finally rolling over to php5. When I compiled php 5.2.6 and ran "make test", I get the following:

FAILED TEST SUMMARY
Bug #16069 (ICONV transliteration failure) [ext/iconv/tests/bug16069.phpt]
iconv stream filter [ext/iconv/tests/iconv_stream_filter.phpt]

dunno if this is bad ... iconv has always been problematic, it's usually the
thing that causes my compiles to fail ... when they do :-/

if you don't use it then no need to worry ... probably, check the test source
to see exactly what it tests to make sure it won't be an issue for you

Test array_slice() function : usage variations - Pass different data
types as $offset arg [ext/standard/tests/array/array_slice_variation2.phpt]
Test array_slice() function : usage variations - Pass different data
types as $length arg [ext/standard/tests/array/array_slice_variation3.phpt]
Test array_slice() function : usage variations - pass different int
values as $length arg [ext/standard/tests/array/array_slice_variation6.phpt]

do you use array_slice() and do you regularly feed it bogus arguments?
neither do I (feed it bogus arguments) :)

Test closedir() function : usage variations - close a file pointer
[ext/standard/tests/dir/closedir_variation3.phpt]
Test readdir() function : usage variations - empty directories
[ext/standard/tests/dir/readdir_variation2.phpt]
Test readdir() function : usage variations - use file pointers
[ext/standard/tests/dir/readdir_variation7.phpt]
Test rewinddir() function : basic functionality
[ext/standard/tests/dir/rewinddir_basic.phpt]
Test rewinddir() function : usage variations - operate on a closed
directory [ext/standard/tests/dir/rewinddir_variation2.phpt]
Test rewinddir() function : usage variations - file pointers
[ext/standard/tests/dir/rewinddir_variation3.phpt]

by the looks of these they all test things known not to work ... but
they may be failing in slightly different ways than expected .. unless
you regularly try to close file handles using closedir() or things like
that I doubt you have anything to worry about  ... and if you
do do things like that your doing it wrong anyway :-P

It is running on CentOS5 x86_64 (2.6.18-92.1.13.el5).  It seems php5 has
more "make test" failures than php4 did - is this normal or should I be
concerned?

chances are some of the failed tests are related directly to the fact that
it's a 64bit system ... but like I said most of the tests seem to test for
known failures and the tests are failing, but in a slightly different way.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Michael