when mysql is down

Today my hosting company took down the mysql server for about 1/2 hour.
As a result some php errors displayed.

All of my pages have a random quote from a mysql table. If it's not
available it's really not a big deal. However, some of the pages depend
entirely on data from the database.

What's the best way to handle this? If the mysql is required should I
redirect to the front page (which doesn't need mysql except for the
quote) or show a blank (or error message) content area (navigation would
still be available as it's the same on all pages)?

The quote is from an include file. What's the best way to output nothing
if the mysql connection fails?

I realize these are probably elementary questions but any advice would
be appreciated.

--
"... the state ... is not armed with superior honesty, but
 with superior physical strength." -- Henry David Thoreau