Re: PHP Dev Facts

Nathan Rixham schreef:
> Evening All,
>
> I'd be /really/ interested to know who uses what!
>
> *Procedural or OOP?*

mostly OOP with a smattering of helper functions.
small CLI scripts are often procedural.

> *Dev OS*

Mac OS X Leopard (with winXP VM)

> *Dev PHP Version*

daily dev 5.2.6
I also run various alphas of other version (e.g. 5.3) for
testing/playing

> *Live Server OS*

Debian, Redhat

> *Live Server PHP Version*

5.1.2 thru 5.2.6 ... coding defensively and conservatively generally
means that there are no problems developing on 5.2.6 and rolling out on
5.1.2 but I try to avoid it.

> *Which HTTP Server Software (+version)?*

Apache2.x (some projects run on Apache1.3.x ... but I don't really feel the difference)

> *IDE / Dev Environment*

Zend Studio
Zend Eclipse
Eclipse with PDT/Aptana
Terminal.app (bash)
nano (shell editor)
TextWrangler
TextEdit (winXP)

> *Preferred Framework(s)?*

I eat my own dogfood. I like the look of code in ZendFramework but the
whole library thang I find rather intrusive ... if I find something in a
framework I really need/want I generally strip it out - doing away with
everything I don't need, making it conform more to the project in question
and using the 'refactor time' as an excuse to understand the details of
the code in question ... this all assumes that the framework in question
allows for this kind of thing (I always leave in the relevant author attributions, etc)

> *Do you Unit Test?*

not really, but I generally develop in a unit-testy kind of way, I write
code that is known to fail because it relies on as yet unwritten code ... I run
it to check it fails as expected then iteratively add required, unwritten code,
checking at each step to see it fail in a new, exzpected way then add the next piece
until Im left with the end result.

I really should get into unit testing, deadlines, lack of budget and general
intertia always seem to get in the way ... I must do better :-/

> *Most Used Internal PHP Class*

Exception. I also use Iterator & related interfaces quite a bit.

> *Preferred OS CMS*

er? I'll hack anything if I have to. but I don't really have a preference,
never really found anything that satisfies my desire for clean, understandable
code. the usual suspects are all somewhat familiar to me but I wouldn't call them
friends.

I want to take a look the new typo3 engine ... it seems very ambitious and
Im interested in the potential for a generic workflow engine.

> *Anything else you use frequently in you're PHP'ing that's worth
> mentioning:*

I use APC quite a bit, play with memcache when I can. and I use firebird
(which is a right can of worms atm with regard to the status quo of the php
extension ... as a DB firebird is very cool).

phpmailer often makes an appearance in projects - I find it to be a very simple,
quick wrapper for handling web-originated emails (not bulk mailing though ... I use
mimemail class with tyhe qmail extension for that generally).

Sphinx searchd/indexer is what I'm currently getting to grips with ... other than
the basic configuration and figuring out how to managably work with delta updates
Im scratching my head as to how to manage sphinx search/indexing for multiple, small
sites on a single server.

oh ... I also frequently use this list as a stress-relief mechanism ;-)