Re: security and database

On 11 Oct 2008, at 20:18, Alain Roger wrote:
to have access to my web application, user needs to log in. Before to send login/password over the net, user is directly redirected to HTTPS version of my web application in case he did not write HTTPS:// at the address bar. once he types login/password, everything is checked with DB data and if it is correct, so he's granted right to continue and he redirected to another
HTTPS web page.

i would like improve security but i'm not sure it make sense as HTTPS is
used.

SSL secures the data transmission from client to server and there's nothing currently available that provides better security at that level.

therefore i was thinking to request for each stored procedures (all my SQL
requests are in stored procedures) login and password (stored into
session)... but does it make really sense ?

First of all, IMHO there are no valid reasons for storing passwords in the session. If you think you have one I'm betting your architecture is either overly complicated or just plain wrong.

Secondly, I see no security advantage in requiring a username and password to be passed along with each stored procedure request. Aside from the extra overhead, if someone gets access to your database you have other problems which won't be solved by requiring a username and password to execute stored procedures.

-Stut

--
http://stut.net/