Re: mt_rand() - the same forever?

On Sun, Oct 5, 2008 at 2:25 PM, Janek <j-sz@xxxxx> wrote:
> I wonder whether I can rely on the stability of mt_srand() and
> mt_rand(). I want them to generate the same sequence for a fixed seed,
> regardless of PHP version. Do you think I can trust it?
> Janek
>
> --

A while ago I saw on internals where someone was talking about why
their random numbers weren't giving the same response using the same
seed anymore after upgrading.  The dev's said a random number is a
random number and should never be relied upon to give the same result,
ever.  That may have been a different function, but I'm sure that
mindset would persist across all random functions.