Re: Unicode problems

Hello,

On Fri, Sep 26, 2008 at 9:07 AM, Daniel Jaeger  wrote:

> I had similar problems, I cant get the whole situation out of what you
> wrote but here are two hints.
>
> If you got SSH Access you can try to import the DB by following command

I don't have SSH access :/

> Otherwise if you can't access the server on this way you can set the whole
> DB connection on the PHP application to the wanted charset by using
> following function "mysql_set_charset" - but as this one just works on PHP
> 5.2.3 you can do the same (not recommendet way) over the "Set names"
> MysqlQuery - this Query just needs to be run after the connection has been
> established (mysql_connect()).

Tried without success.

> Just have a look at the doc of the mysql_set_charset function there you see
> on the third comment a implementation of this function for all who have an
> earlier PHP Version than 5.2.3 (
> http://de3.php.net/manual/de/function.mysql-set-charset.php)
>
> Hope I could help.

Actually all the responses did help. While I was researching I figured some
weird stuff. I tried MySQL 4.0 examples for CAST() and CONVERT() and all I
got were syntax errors. This DB is broke.

> Cheers
> Daniel

I did the following:

1) Extract the DB script from the working one;
2) Manually added "CHARSET=utf8" for each create table;
3) Converted this script to UTF8 and opened with a ANSI reader and all the
accented chars got funny. Great! That's what I wanted.
4) Applied the script into the database and more frustration. *Some* lines
were in utf8 and some in latin1.

I can only imagine the hosting is forcing this kind of behaviour so the
client has to switch DBMS. (I don't see how, but well).

I'm still trying and researching. If anyone else have any idea, please
reply.

Thanks everyone!

--
Thiago Henrique Pojda