PHP and SQL Server

I know most of you probably use *nix servers with MySQL or PostgreSQL,
but for anyone using PHP on Windows servers with SQL Server, I'm
curious what core PHP library you are using. We used to use the basic
MSSQL library, but it seems like that is on its way out based on the
notes in the manual. Furthermore, it doesn't seem to support
parameterized queries and has a ridiculous TEXTSIZE limit of 4K
(fortunately this can be overridden).

I tried PDO_MSSQL, and it has been fairly stable. However, it has the
same 4K limit on TEXTSIZE and there doesn't appear to be a
configuration setting to change that. Since 15% of the articles on one
site we run are over 4K, that doesn't really work for us. Also, the
manual says PDO_MSSQL is experimental and even states "On Windows, you
should use the PDO_ODBC  driver to connect to Microsoft SQL Server and
Sybase databases, as the native Windows DB-LIB is ancient, thread
un-safe and no longer supported by Microsoft." I find that
particularly interesting since the only official/published Zend_Db
adapter for SQL Server uses PDO_MSSQL.

The PDO_ODBC library doesn't have the 4K TEXTSIZE limit, and works OK
on our development environment. However, when we recently moved a site
into production and the load increased, the server started producing
error messages that say "PHP has encountered an Access Violation at
[some memory address]" with no additional output. The only way to fix
the problem was to restart IIS on the affected machine(s).

So, I'm left wondering what that leaves. Is there anything currently
available that could be considered stable for a production
environment, supports parameterized queries and is not slated to be
mothballed in the near future?

Andrew