Re: Encrypt database table

emil@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
Hi,

What methods do you guys use to keep a mysql table encryped, or well atleast a major part of it. Security is very important and I want to use a public and private key. Is GPG the only safe way? It's hell of an overhead using GPG on every col, even a very short string is easily 1000 characters when encrypted in gpg.

Best Regards Emil

Personally my initial instinct is store everything on a secure non public facing database server and don't worry about encrypting the tables; if somebody can get in to your server and into the database then things need looked at higher up the access chain.

If it's a staffing thing then that's what permissions are for; and if it's for storing things like credit card details; just don't - the major payment gateways will do this for you so all you need to store is the transaction id's and auth codes.

regards

nathan