Re: Problem with sorting

Michelle Konzack wrote:
*       Do not Cc: me, because I READ THIS LIST, if I write here       *
*    Keine Cc: am mich, ich LESE DIESE LISTE wenn ich hier schreibe    *

Hello,

I have a Database of µChips and I want to sort it "case insensitive" and
in "numerical order" in the same time.

Since the name of the µChips are mostly  [:alpha:][:num:]*  I am running
into problems since the first one can have 0-5 characters.

So, what I need is to get the substring (leading  [:alpha:])  unify  and
sort it and not use a loop over it, and get all chips from the category.
Now from each category cut the  [:alpha:],  the sort numerical and after
this re-add the cuted [:alpha:].

Hmmmm, first I am searching a solution the get the  "Categories",  which
mean, the leading [:alpha:] AND, if numerical "categories" exist,  there
first number.

The listing should be something like

    3
    8
    AW
    AT
    DS
    ICL
    LM
    MAX

Does somone has a solution for it? (I do not like to reinvent the wheel)

Thanks, Greetings and nice Day/Evening
    Michelle Konzack
    Systemadministrator
    24V Electronic Engineer
    Tamay Dogan Network
    Debian GNU/Linux Consultant

if it's from a database could you "order by substring(columnname, 2,1)" or similar..?