Public in Classes

Hi,

Just started with object oriented programming and glad I have come across
it, just need a few things clearing up.

When I make a variable or method public, does this mean that it can be used
outside of classes, for instance in other classes or as well as
instantiating classes? So if I made it private, it wouldn't be able to be
instantiated or extended in other classes, am I right?

I have never added public when I am creating methods so I presume its
already set as default if you don't add it?

Hope you can understand my question.

Cheers.