Re: Error message

On Sat, 2008-09-20 at 23:48 -0500, Shawn McKenzie wrote:
> Terry J Daichendt wrote:
> > The  error message told it all. Jochem was correct albiet not in the
> > style I prefer. I had the code in an HTML page after the header. I've
> > been a programmer for 15 years but I'm brand new to PHP. Anyone can make
> > a rookie mistake. Thanks everyone for the help. Everyone was partially
> > correct in assessing the problem.
> >
> > Terry
> >

> > "Eric Gorr" <mailist@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message

> >> Well, this is weird. When I copied your text and tried it myself, the
> >> error I got was:
> >>
> >> Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_STRING in /Users/ericgorr/
> >> Sites/page1.php on line 9
> >>
> >> Now, of course, there is nothing visibly wrong with line 9
> >> ($_SESSION['animal'] = 'cat';). But, when I had my text editor show
> >> invisible characters, there were some on that line and line 10.
> >>
> >> Do you have a text editor that can show invisible characters?
> >>
> >> On the Mac, the one I really like (and is free) is TextWrangler
> >> (http://www.barebones.com/products/textwrangler/ ) and has this
> >> capability. This may be part of your problem. Once I  got rid of the
> >> invisible characters, the example worked without any  problems.
> >>
> >> Also, are you certain there are no spaces or anything (even invisible
> >> characters) before <?php?
> >>
> >> Whenever I've gotten a similar error in the past, that was nearly
> >> always the problem. You are welcome to compress the text file and
> >> send  it to me directly so I can see exactly what it contains.
> >>

> Since you're a PHP rookie, to sum it up:  there can not be any output
> before you start a session.
>
> When PHP interprets a file (include or otherwise) it considers anything
> before <?php as HTML, so it outputs it as HTML (newlines, spaces,
> whatever).  So if you have whitespace before the <?php, then the PHP
> interpreter outputs it, thus the output before the session_start() error.
>
> -Shawn

It's an easy mistake to make, not just reserved for rookies ;) I had a
similar problem streaming video to the browser, and found that for some
reason all the video files were larger than the original and wouldn't
play. Turned out (after some very strong words aimed in the general
direction of my laptop) that I'd included a header file which was
outputting some HTML!

Ash
www.ashleysheridan.co.uk