fsockopen in phpmailer and tls

I am having a ball of a time trying to figure this one out... If anyone
has dealt with this before I'd love to get some morsels of wisdom from
you...

I am trying to connect to a postfix server I have set up remotely using
smtp auth with tls.  The postfix appears to be configured correctly at
this point.  I can telnet to port 25 and it will list tls as an option
as the howto describes it should.  I try to connect from php and get:

PHP Warning:  fsockopen(): SSL operation failed with code 1. OpenSSL
Error messages:
error:1408F10B:SSL routines:func(143):reason(267)
in /opt/scriptsMain/include/class.smtp.php on line 122

I've googled this and someone seems very knowledgeable about it yet
describes the solution in a way that a mere mortal like myself can't
follow.  He states in part:

"Look at the error message:
error:1408F10B:SSL routines:func(143):reason(267)

Take the reason code (267) and determine the error:
grep 267 /usr/include/openssl/ssl.h
/usr/include/openssl/ssl.h:#define SSL_R_WRONG_VERSION_NUMBER
        267

Now google for SSL_R_WRONG_VERSION_NUMBER..."

..."So in your server method configuration you must put:
      SSL_CTX *ctx = SSL_CTX_new (SSLv23_server_method())
    to correctely analyse the first client_hello message
    instead of
      SSL_CTX *ctx = SSL_CTX_new (SSLv3_server_method())
    which i suppose you did"

So is he talking about modifying the source code in postfix and
rebuilding it?  Have any of you guys dealt with this?...

By the way, when I started out I had a typo in the postfix
config for the path to the certificates for ssl and was getting
the same error message.  It wasn't until I saw in the postfix
mail log that it couldn't read the cert.  So that was fixed but
I continue to get the same message which I'm now thinking might
be a red herring.

--
Larry Brown <larry.brown@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>