RE: Google Chrome

You can at least track memory + cpu usage through the Task Manager
(Ctrl-Alt-Del + T on most distros). In the Task Manager, I also noticed
that GoogleUpdate.exe is running even when Chrome.exe is not. This made
me a bit curious, so I went into msconfig (the Microsoft GUI utility for
modifying startup programs, services, and system INI files) and saw that
GoogleUpdate.exe had been added to the list of programs to run on
Windows startup.

I hate, hate, HATE it when programs install resident agents that eat my
memory and perform background network activity. Rrgh! Points taken away
from Google for this app's EULA and its methods. Slick otherwise, though
(aside from the lack of XMLDOM instantiation support for Javascript)...

Todd Boyd
Web Programmer