Re: CMS-Blog system

On 3 Sep 2008, at 22:01, Martin Zvarík wrote:
I am working on CMS-Blog system, which will be using approx. 10 000 users.

I have a basic question - I believe there are only two options - which one is better?

1) having separate databases for each blog = fast
(problem: what if I will need to do search in all of the blogs for some article?)

2) having all blogs in one database - that might be 10 000 * 100 articles = too many rows, but easy to search and maintain, hmm?

---

I am thinking of having some file etc. "cms-core.php" in some base directory and every subdirectory (= users subdomains) would include this "cms-core" file with some individual settings. Is there better idea?

I appreciate your discussion on this topic.

This wheel already exists, and it's called Wordpress.

Wordpress is completely free, has great support for multiple blogs with multiple users and central management. It's been built for scalability (think wordpress.com) and has been extensively tested (think wordpress.com + a huge number of other sites).

If Wordpress doesn't cover your search requirements it's simple to add something like sphinx to index everything to match the way you want to search.

But, if you want to waste your time reinventing this wheel don't let me stop you, but I guarantee it's more complex than you initially think.

-Stut

--
http://stut.net/