Re: Re: skinning a cat

On Tue, 2008-09-02 at 18:02 +0200, Per Jessen wrote:
> Robert Cummings wrote:
>
> > You originally said it was overkill to use my lock class and then went
> > on to show your shell script doing similar. To which I then responded
> > try running the shell script in windows. To which you've now suggested
> > installing cygwin.
>
> Well, no I haven't, but feel free to think so.

Ok, maybe you didn't explicitly suggest installing cygwin but you did
write:

    "And of course, there's also Cygwin."

As a method of running the shell script you provided. That struck me as
a suggestion... but I won't quibble. Obviously you meant someone could
use cygwin without installing it.

> > Thus you have suggested a shell script and cygwin to accomplish what a
> > simple lock class easily achieves in both linux and windows.
>
> OK, if you want to debate this - you take a relatively complex solution
> which is intended for 1% of your customers, and apply it to the other
> 99% which could have done with a much simpler solution. That's more
> overkill, IMHO.

No, I take a single solution that works for 99% of my clients and just
so happens to work for the other 1% because the solution is homogenous.
Additionally the solution is re-usable and can be applied at ANY point
within the PHP code. Your solution is required to wrap the PHP script
invocation and thus is not as versatile. Additionally my solution is
hardly complex. Ooooh... a class wrapper around mkdir() that's tuff to
grok. Similarly adding features to the class is simplistic and instantly
available to all applications that want to use locks and not just
applications wanting to be launched from a shell script that manages the
locks. I guess you also have problems with using PHP classes that pull
in directory listings, perform file uploads/downloads, image
manipulations, etc. All these can be done with the shell, by extension
of your argument they appear to have no place in PHP code.

Moving along... why the heck would anyone want to punt logic to the
shell that could easily be incorporated into the application. You almost
certainly give up control and flexibility in such cases.

Cheers,
Rob.
--
http://www.interjinn.com