Per Jessen schreef:
Robert Cummings wrote:

#!/bin/sh
while true
do
    <yourscript>
    sleep 300
done
I accomplish the same with cron scripts by using locks with expiry.
got an example? my cat skinning skills need to be improved, the cat
won't like it but screw the cat, right?
[snip code]
I implemented my own lock class which uses directory creation and the
return value to determine if the lock was successful. Unlike file
creation (or so I read several years ago) directory creation is atomic
and works across NFS. As an added benefit, I'm able to store lock
related data into the lock directory as files.

I'm probably old fashioned, but to me all that stuff is way overkill.  I
also tend to think that synchronizing scripts is a job for the shell,
not PHP.

either way, I've just learn't something new as far as shellscripting goes :-)
apart from the xargs command ... that still does my head in (don't worry
I'll look it up ... for the umpteenth time).

lockfile=/var/lock/<xxxx>/file
# clear out a lock older than 60mins
find $lockfile -cmin +60 | xargs rm
test ! -f $lockfile && (
touch $lockfile
<run some php>
rm -f $lockfile
)

wouldn't creating a dir be better here? (with regard to atomicity)

/Per Jessen, Zürich