Re: Re: What's with the Rx symbol?

On Sat, Aug 30, 2008 at 2:34 PM, Diogo Neves <dafneves@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Your reply is a bit off-topic, and i agree u should care about all
> those with red/green color blindness, but u should care with all those
> how dislike spam too.
> Then, unless u know a really good alternative to a CAPTCHA, i believe
> its yet the better solution...
>
> PS: u can answer and discuse this on the original thread too ;)
>
> --
> Thanks by your attention,
>
> Diogo Neves
> Web Developer @ SAPO.pt by PrimeIT.pt

Wait a minute. I wasn't trying to jump into the CAPTCHA debate. That
is another thread entirely, and I agree that any further discussion
should be kept in that thread.

I was only contrasting tedd's current suggestion regarding how
browsers could handle his Unicode domain names where he suggested
color-coding the URL in the address bar against his earlier (well
thought out and presented) concerns about maintaining accessibility.

In this case, I'm not even saying that tedd's basic concept --
altering the appearance to indicate a Unicode URL that could otherwise
be confused with something similar -- is flawed. I'm just agreeing
that the as identified by the browser vendors is valid. Combine that
with the steps they've already taken to add icons and color code URLs
for easy confirmation of a site's identity when using SSL, and it
becomes more complicated -- especially when each has to compliment the
others to prevent confusion while still remaining accessible. In that
sense, they have already taken his idea and done something much
simpler: they've simplified the character set. No additional colors,
no extra icons to have to decipher, etc.

Andrew