_SERVER['DOCUMENT_ROOT'] not set?

Hello group,

I am new to php. I have just bought a good book by Welling and Thomson and
was following the example codes.

In one of the examples, I am supposed to access _SERVER['DOCUMENT_ROOT'].
However, when I am seeing its value in the debug stack, I am getting it to
be null! Even phpinfo() is showing that this particular variable does not
even exist, though there are other _SERVER[''] declarations.

I installed everything on my local computer using xampp and I am using Zend
IDE.

And I have searched through archives as well as google and not found any
useful advice.

Thanks!

Saurabh.