Re: Manual Coding vs. CMS Systems

On Thu, 2008-08-28 at 08:46 -0400, Jason Pruim wrote:
> Joomla is a large content management system that allows novice people
> to edit the pages without touching the actual design. It's all
> template driven and works quite well. Not the most lightweight
> solution though...

I've used quite a few different "CMS" systems and while Joomla was not
the worst, I feel Joomla is not well designed from the perspective of
the ignorant unwashed masses. I find this issue to be etremely salient
when considered in light of Joomla's multilingual capabilities and menu
capabilities. Being Canadian, many websites here require support for
both English and French... it's just ridiculous to have to use a plugin
module for language and to have to go to a completely different area of
the site than the original content in question to add the French
version. Similarly, I find the creation of menus very cumbersome. I feel
Drupal does a much better job of handling these aspects. Also, Drupal
was a lot faster... Joomla feels like I'm walking through a swamp of
molasses. At any rate, to drive home the client perspective... they are
only adding the simplest of content because they have difficulty using
the site. As such they send me much of the content to add... this is
completely counter to the purpose of the CMS.

Cheers,
Rob.
--
http://www.interjinn.com