Re: Search Suggestions

At 9:31 AM -0400 8/26/08, Dan Shirah wrote:
Any ideas?

Dan:

Yes, a few of them.

1. Use LIMIT in your MySQL query to get the number of records provided down to a manageable size.

2. Use pagination to keep the page size to a manageable size.

Here's an example:

http://php1.net/b/pagination-images/

Here's an example with code and it has an example of using LIMIT with offsets:

http://webbytedd.com/bbb/paging/

3. Then use a toggle for showing small/large amount of information.

http://webbytedd.com/cc/toggle/

I often use this for showing clients lot's of data without having to show all of it at one time. Here's another example:

http://sperling.com/quarters/

Note how "The rules" and "How to win" are shown.

As to showing the user one item expanded and all the rest collapsed, I leave that to you, but my hint is redefining the css display rule (display: block) on the initial load of the page.

Cheers,

tedd

--
-------