Re: Auto-generating a graphs Y scale

At 3:52 PM +0100 8/25/08, Richard Heyes wrote:
 > First, the y scale is the one that runs up and down and not right to left.
  :-)

Yes I know.

 Second, the physical length of the y scale should be static and whatever you
 want it to be (i.e., 5 inches, 10 inches, etc.).

That gives a poor range IMO. JPGraph generates one which is better,
since it doesn't correspond exactly to the highest value. For example
for a bar graph with the value 2,6,7,7,4,8,7 it would (might) go from
one to ten and then plot appropriate marks.

This is really what I want to achieve. But it should be able to
accommodate all sorts of values, from small to large.

--
Richard Heyes

Richard:

There's no poor, nor good, range for that.

If it was me I might take the maximum x and y coordinates and use values that are 10 percent larger for the axis. The goodness or poorness depends upon the data and how well that data is shown for evaluation.

The point is that the way to create a graph is to figure out the maximum values, determined from the points, and then create axis to show that.

Cheers,

tedd

--
-------