Re: Accountancy for a webshop/ecommerce system

Rene Veerman wrote:

> What i'm worried about is the accounting part of a webshop system.
> I've downloaded some accounting manuals and programs, to see 'how its
> done'. I've also downloaded some other webshop php apps (notably
> oscommerce.com) to see how they do things.
>
> OS-commerce provides very little reporting. There's no balance sheet,
> no statement of loss/profits, etc.
> I'm wondering how a webshop operator/owner would keep track of
> inventory and profits/losses.

I don't know much about e.g. osCommerce, but I would expect a webshop
system to only provide the input for a general ledger- and/or
inventory-system.  Just like a human shop-assistant or cashier does
when he/she operates the check-out register.

> Taken to the extreme, a webshop system would require accountancy
> reporting functionality, a general ledger, journals, etc.

This sounds like a severe case of scope-creep.  I don't think any of
that belongs in a webshop system, just like a webshop doesn't belong in
a general ledger system.

/Per Jessen, Zürich