Re: FCKEditor, TinyMCE, ... I need a light weight WYSIWYG HTML Editor

On 8/17/08, AmirBehzad Eslami <behzad.eslami@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Dear list,
>
> I'm looking for a light weight WYSIWYG HTML Editor to allow
> users to send private messages to each other in a forum application.
>
> FCKEditor is too complex and very huge for my purposes. I want a
> simple editor. What do you recommend?

WordPress has tweaked tinymce a lot to maintain <p> spacing and code
snippets and embedded objects. We've tried both at my job with various
configurations, both have had issues - but we've had the most success
and our users have been happy with WordPress's configuration (which
uses a couple custom javascript things + specific tinymce
configuration)

I've been trying to examine the differences so I can create a reusable
standalone component we can use in all our various apps... but WP has
hooked in a lot of custom code and it's been a bit annoying trying to
split it out into a single reusable javascript file and stuff. Almost
done though. I went overboard and tried to make it more generic by
renaming and cleaning up the functions to not need any WordPress
callbacks and stuff and wound up messing it up, so I have to go back
again and probably re-create it from scratch.. Doh :)

Honestly in a forum setting you can just give them a bbcode howto/link
on the side and let them put in their own bbcode (which can be a
strict subset of HTML) - or even just allow HTML tags and limit what
they can do. Loading up a javascript-based thing even if it's pretty
lightweight is still annoying and I could see that being overkill for
a forum.