Re: Licensing

At 3:34 PM +0100 8/16/08, Richard Heyes wrote:
Hi,

Don't think me a money grabbing bast (well, I guess I am...) but I'd
just like to know if you've got any input on trying to get people to
cough up some readies in return for the mounds of free code I give
away. I've updated my licensing page just now, and hopefully this will
convince more people to buy one:
http://www.phpguru.org/static/license.html

Thanks for any pointers.

--
Richard Heyes

Richard:

No offense, but you asked for pointers.

I can tell you're a programmer and not a marketer.

While your license makes sense to you, the typical person will come away with "Okay, if I see something I want, I'm not sure what to do. I guess that I'll have to read the license again."

Instead, use a two or three tiered licensing scheme, something like this.

General Purpose
Unlimited
Commercial

And briefly describe what each one will Do for your customer -- IOW, don't dwell on what it doesn't cover and be specific and enthused on what it does.

You see, in your current description you jump back and forth between what's covered and what's not. After reading your write-up I'm still not sure I could use your "multiple select Javascript / CSS plugin" if I bought a commercial license or not. That's not good.

You want it to be easy for customers to understand and purchase your licenses -- remember half the population is below average intelligence. Considering you're trying to sell to programmers, then figure may even be a bit higher. So keep it simple.

Also, if I do decide to buy a license -- what's £49 is US dollars? How do I pay you? Do you accept PayPal, Credit Cards or do I send you a goat and two chickens? If you want people to pay you, then give them the opportunity and make it obvious.

Oh, I just looked at your page again and on my *third* read, I finally see that you do offer PayPal. Why didn't I catch that the first time? Well, I'm a programmer, but the major reason is that I expect to see a PayPal logo on a site that accepts PayPal. So, use the PayPal logo somewhere on your page!

Also, place a few "Buy Now" links here and there -- they work. There's been several books written on this subject -- the best one I've read is "Submit Now" by Andrew Chak -- if you want to pick up one and read the specifics of why these things work.

One other note, what's with the "richard at php dot net"? Instead make it easier for users to contact you -- use Enkoder to mask your email address -- here's the link:

http://hivelogic.com/enkoder/form

And finally:

http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http://www.phpguru.org/static/license.html

Many people say it don't matter, but I'm not one of them.  :-)

Cheers,

tedd

--
-------