Re: Re: Passing variable to a page in a frameset

On 15 Aug 2008, at 19:50, Jody Cleveland wrote:
On Aug 15, 2008, at 1:46 PM, Stut wrote:
On 15 Aug 2008, at 19:39, Jody Cleveland wrote:
On Aug 15, 2008, at 1:22 PM, Warren Vail wrote:

Actually you may want to check back with basic html at the "target"
parameter on your search "form" statement.

HTH,

Warren Vail
Vail Systems Technology
warren@xxxxxxxxxxxx

Target won't work for me because the originating page with the search box is not part of any frameset. I'm trying to get the search results from that page to go to a page that is part of a frameset.

Are you saying that the frame you want to have the search results shown in doesn't exist when the search form is submitted? If it does then it doesn't matter where the form is, just specify the target as the name of the frame and it will almost certainly work.

If however you want the search to create the frameset when it runs then you have a completely different problem which is best solved using some sort of session. The script that handles the POST will need to store the details of the search somewhere and output the frameset. The frame that needs to contain the results would then grab the details and run the search outputting the results.

That is exactly what I want. I apologize for the confusion. I was having a hard time trying to put what I was trying to do in words. But, yes, your second paragraph is exactly what I want to do. My knowledge of PHP is very limited, and I've tried to search for something that will do this, but couldn't find anything.

Ok, then I have to ask the question... why frames?

If you really need frames then you need to come up with a way to pass the search from the script the search form loads to the specific frame in the frameset it outputs. You could do this through a GET parameter, or via a session or in several other ways. In any case you'd be far better off not using frames if possible, so why frames?

-Stut

--
http://stut.net/