Re: Version Control Software

Boyd, Todd M. wrote:
Having never used a revision-control solution in the past, I installed
TortoiseSVN and the associated SVN Server (local-only) found on
www.tigris.org . I've gotta say... it's been a breeze to setup (I used
the SVN "1-Click Setup" installer), and I've already migrated several of
the projects I'm working on to the repository and tested extractions and
versioning. Pretty slick!

Indeed. Glad it's working for you! Don't forget to backup the repository regularly tho'!

I can't speak for GIT... but if it's mostly command line, with 130+
switches, I think I'll pass.

As I posted before, I would tend to prefer SVN for web project that include graphical churn. With git it keeps a full clone of the repository locally and thus if you've changed some large images a lot in your version history, that's a whole lot of data to keep on your local machine. With subversion it will store a little over double the data it needs to with a checkout. This is to allow offline diff'ing and reverting if you have a remote server.

Personally, for me at least, SVN is much simpler and the SVN Book over at red bean is well worth a couple of hours of reading. http://svnbook.red-bean.com/

Git is great and I do love it for distributed code projects with lots of authors. But the learning curve is very steep and I still don't consider myself competent, let alone and expert at git, whereas I know svn inside out!

Have fun.

Col