Re: Why PHP4?

On 8/7/2008 7:42 PM India Time, _Judson Vaughn_ wrote:

Kudos to Richard.

If its fixed, don't break it.

Jud.

==

Per Jessen wrote:
Richard Heyes wrote:

I'm interested - why are people still using PHP4? It's been over 4
years (I think) - plenty of time to upgrade to five.
Migration issues for instance - we have quite a bit of code that uses
sablotron - in PHP5 that's been changed to libxslt, which requires
extensive code-changes.
Also, something about setlocale() got regressed (and never fixed) in
4.3.10 or thereabouts, which means we have at least one app that's
running on 4.3.8.
Finally - why migrate? What's the rush?  Lots of people are still
running back-level software - e.g. apache, mysql, php, gcc, linux, you
name it.  *In our shop, migrating working PHP code has one of the lowest
priorities*.

/Per Jessen, Zürich

I was surprised to see some very busy and well to do Chartered Accountants, Company Secretaries still using those 8086 pcs with Wordstar and lotus that were there on mid 80s.

They say these are no more available so data in these pcs and these formats are much more safer than that on a latest machine/ software.