RE: Re: An appeal to your better nature

On Wed, 2008-08-06 at 14:59 +0200, Chris Haensel wrote:

> [...]

I use CVS all the way from dev to production with staging in between
(except personal projects where I skip staging). Here's an approximation
of my update workflow:

dev> modify code
dev> cvs commit -m 'blah blah comments'

dev> ssh staging
staging> cvs update
staging> ./buildSite.php

After feedback from client...

dev> ssh production
production> cvs update
production> ./buildSite.php

I use CVS for all my projects. Be they tiny or large. If something goes
wrong after production is updated, I just grab a snapshot from when we
last had a stable run. Using CVS is well worth the extra 5 minutes I
spend at the beginning of a project setting up the repository. When I
take over some project that didn't use CVS, the first thing I do is put
it in CVS. Usually I find crap like foo.php.bak, foo.php.better.bak,
foo.php.good, foo.php.broken littered all over the source tree. Some
idiot obviously made them because they didn't use a versioning system.
The really sad part is, all these files are usually right there in the
production tree.

As far as backups go, CVS is on another machine, production and staging
are sometimes on the same machine, sometimes on their own machines.
Either way, the source exists in 3 physical locations... cvs, dev,
staging. And I run nightly backups of CVS.

Cheers,
Rob.
--
http://www.interjinn.com