Re: Exposing PHP/errors on production vs. dev

Here' the snippet I use on all my code files. Default is create and add to error log file on the current dir.

I generally echo $error_reporting to remind myself that the error reporting is active.

if(true) // TRUE for debug only
    {
        ini_set("display_errors", "on"); //use off if users will see them
    error_reporting(E_ALL);

    $error_reporting = '<span style="color:red">Error display and logging on</span>  ';
}

mike wrote:
Does this look right?

Obviously you still want to know about production errors, so I'd like
to log them.

Development I want to see -everything- and I want it to display on the
page. The assumption is production won't have any notices as the code
should be clean and our higher priority are fixing errors. But that
one is easily editable if needed :)

Production:

display_errors                          = Off
display_startup_errors = Off
error_reporting                         = E_ALL & ~E_NOTICE
expose_php                              = Off
log_errors                              = On
error_log                               = syslog

Dev:

display_errors                          = On
display_startup_errors = On
error_reporting                         = E_ALL
expose_php                              = On
log_errors                              = On
error_log                               = syslog

Am I missing any?