Re: Writing my own web based user forum

On Fri, Aug 1, 2008 at 9:27 AM, Jason Pruim <japruim@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> The problem with that is I don't have any code to show since I'm going to be
> writing it :)
>
> Basically, it's a site where people can upload pictures to compare with
> other's (Non-porn) so I need to write an authentication system for that, but
> that is taken care of... Another aspect of the site though is a User Forum
> where the users can interact with each and talk about what ever they want.
>
> So, I need to either:
> #1.     Write my own web forum. OR
> #2.     Integrate a currently existing one to work with my authentication
> system.
>
> I'm leaning towards #1 since it sounds easier to me at this point then #2.
>
> Clear as mud now? :)

Start by figuring out your requirements.  Do you want to allow
categories, threads, comments, quoting, administrator, moderator, etc.
 Current bb's need to be everything to everyone.  It will have a lot
of stuff you don't want or won't need.  It is usually smarter trying
to use an existing solution though.  I wouldn't recommend phpbb.  But
what I mean is that they have gone through the process of figuring out
requirements, implementing features, testing, and deploying on lots of
different setups.  Doing something yourself throws away all those
hours of work.  Usually these things have teams of people, not just
one Rambo, not that there's anything wrong with that! :)  Just keep it
in mind.

After that figure out how to implement each feature you want.

There is a big difference between authenticating a user and a user's
authorization.  You can use combinations of Zend_Auth and Zend_Acl to
manage this fairly easily.  Or you can come up with your own scheme.
Each user should get their own row in a users table.  Then each user
needs some sort of user/pass.  You shouldn't store raw passwords,
always hash them using something such as sha.  The roles/permissions
can be impemented with the ACL (access control list) by assigning each
part of your system as an action that can have roles attached to it.
An example would be administrator can view all users or logged in user
can upload photos.