HTTP PUT for file uploads

It appears that PHP can support the PUT method using php://stdin and
appropriately configuring the webserver to accept it.

My company needs a file upload solution that will support large file
uploads (2GB limit is optional - if we have to tell them less than 2GB
that's fine) that will keep re-trying the upload until it is done. We
have slow geo users and then just flat out large files to deal with
even from fast connections.

There's a variety of Java-based PUT uploaders.

So far, we haven't found any Flash ones (we'd love to NOT use Java) -
but there is a way to do it apparently, we just can't find anyone
who's done it yet.

I'm assuming that we should keep the connection open as long as there
is some activity and maybe timeout after a minute or two... the
client-side applet should have the logic to continue retrying and
since it is PUT, the PHP script will accept the data and use fseek()
on the file to resume at the offset supplied (the client will have to
give us that info)

See the examples here:
http://www.radinks.com/upload/examples/ - look at the "Handlers that
support resume" section.

Anyone have any thoughts? I think I need to tweak PHP settings
too possibly as well, for max execution time and such. But also any
uploader ideas would be great.

The reason for using this is FTP/SFTP require logins or some sort of
"pick up" process or two step process to first upload the file then
have the user associate it (or a cronjob somehow associate and move
it) to it's final destination. HTTP isn't the best for file uploads
but it appears PUT does support resuming, and we just want the
cleanest possible frontend to it. Java stuff is slow, Flash would be
better, but it appears Flash only supports basic POST/GET and you have
to use a third party library (and possibly the latest Flex?) to be
able to support other HTTP methods. If anyone has any products or
knows of any projects, open source solutions would be best but money
is not an object basically so we'd be open to commercial ones as well.
We want the least amount of work for the end-user, so no thick clients
and hopefully the most compact [cross-platform] browser applet as
well. (I am assuming Flash does finally work on Linux)