Re: Why PHP4?

Per Jessen wrote:
> Lester Caine wrote:
>
>> Some ISP's are still only supporting rather ancient versions of PHP4.
>> They should simply be warned of the security risks. Some ISP's have a
>> PHP5 offering, but again an older version simply because it causes
>> less problems when converting from PHP4.
>
> The problem for an ISP is - with thousands of customers, he has no way
> of knowing who has used what PHP extension or feature.  Without
> virtually guaranteed backwards compatibility, a mass upgrade of 4 to 5
> could be a major headache.
> Besides, are the security risks sufficiently severe for the ISP to
> warrant the upgrade effort+headache?

Definitely. I've been the server-admin behind this sort of stuff
(actually php3 -> php4 :P) and it's very hard to do even on your own
servers. Clients get other developers to write their software so you
have no idea what it does etc, you can't support it, you certainly don't
want to break it - so as much as possible you leave the server alone (of
course you upgrade for security issues, that's a given).

In time you get a new server and slowly migrate people to that, kill off
the old server and rinse-repeat.

--
Postgresql & php tutorials
http://www.designmagick.com/