Re: Programming With Revision History

On Mon, Jul 28, 2008 at 11:58 AM, Nate Tallman
<nate.tallman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hey guys,
> Does anyone know of any good literature on programming revision history into
> an application? I'm looking for something covering theory around revision
> history.
>
> For a little background info, I'm dealing with lesson plans that will need
> to be edited by many different sources. I like the way wikimedia handles
> revision history, but I'm just curious what my options are.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Nate

I don't have any links for you, but I do have a question.  How is your
data being stored?  Is it a single text value?  Is it a lot of join
records spanning multiple tables?  Depending on your answer you're
going to have to handle things quite differently.  Duplicating a
single record is much easier.

Text based revisions are a bit different than a HTML revision too.
With HTML all sorts of code changes could have happened without a
single visual change.  In that case should you really show the user a
difference?  It depends on your target.