Re: Web2.0 style tags - where to start?

On Mon, July 28, 2008 2:04 pm, Richard Heyes wrote:
>> I'm working on a project where we're building a collection of videos in
>> Flash and the idea has been mooted that it would improve usability if we
>> were to allow users to tag videos they've seen a la last.fm, flickr
>> youtube etc.
>
> If you're thinking of trying re-invent a UI - my advice would be
> don't. Your visitors are more likely to know and understand their own
> PCs UI as opposed to one that you invent. Any UI you come up with is
> not going to be as easily used no matter how good it is.
>
> --
> Richard Heyes
> http://www.phpguru.org

Hi Richard

I think my first post was ambiguous. What we're thinking of is to build a
site on which people can view videos with the option to add metadata to a
video after viewing it.

We think that the content we have will be of wide interest to a lot of
people and the best way to index it is for users to 'tag' it themselves,
since it's hard for us to anticipate the uses that people may have for the
content.

Last.fm allows users to tag bands and songs for example; here's the tag
page for Joy Division:
http://www.last.fm/music/Joy+Division/+tags

The idea being that if you're interested in post-punk, for example, you
can click on that tag and be taken to the pages of similarly genred bands.
So it encourages use of the content and serendipitous connections (maybe).

I'm not convinced that this is the way to go, but I'd like to pilot the
idea and am looking for signposts for where to start.

Paul

Ps. I was wrong about youtube, by the way, it doesn't look like they do
tagging.