Re: Code beautifier

On 7/24/08, Stut <stuttle@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Obviously you can run your team the way you want to, but personally I prefer
> to get all my developers singing from the same hymn sheet such that after a
> couple of weeks they can go to any part of the code and not see a horrific
> mess because they're used to the coding style and be able to conform to that
> style when they make changes.

Heh, I'd love to see you try to tackle the team I'm on. No matter how
many times I show them things, no matter how many simpler methods of
coding we provide (I have a custom library to make life easier) they
still find new ways since PHP is so open to create obtuse and
overengineered solutions for the simplest of things. It's a
never-ending evolutionary process that will probably continue to be
never-ending.

> Any half-decent developer should be able to adopt any style they're told to.

I never said the quality of developers I had to work with :p Most are
decent in their respective fields, but PHP is new to most people here.
It appears that most .NET/Microsoft style coders don't care about
whitespace, tab however they wish, etc, even though VS editors try to
help them, it always comes out with extra white noise.

> Likewise they should be able to use any editor you tell them to, but even if
> you would prefer to be flexible in the name of productivity there are very
> few editors beyond Notepad that can't use a particular EOL and auto-strip
> trailing spaces. As far as extra linefeeds "etc" that's all coming from the
> developer unless you're using WYSIWYG editors. I've met far too many
> developers who don't care about formatting their code and unless you slap
> their nose for it they won't change.

Eh, I've shown my way many times... it doesn't really help. Besides,
most of the time I have to review this stuff anyway, or go back and
fix bugs in it, so I'm already messing with the code to begin with.