Quick Word of Warning for Freelancers RE: E-Gold

    It's a bit off-topic for the list, but I wanted to give a heads-up
to any of you who may use E-Gold for any reason (including freelance
PHP programming).  I don't want to see anyone lose any of the money
for which I'm sure they've worked very hard.  If you don't use E-Gold,
you can skip over this thread.

    The FBI, Secret Service, IRS, and other agencies conducted an
investigation which resulted in the arrest of the three principal
officers for E-Gold, Ltd., on charges of money laundering and
operating an unlicensed money transfer service.  The company and its
principals all plead guilty.

    As part of the plea, E-Gold is forfeiting at least $1.75 Million
US in cash assets, and is required to pay up to $3.7 Million US in
fines alone --- not counting all of the other fines, costs, and
restitution.

    As a result, if any of you use E-Gold to receive payments for
projects, et cetera, you may want to see if you can get your money out
of the account ASAP in case the government makes a motion to freeze
the assets (if they haven't already).

    The official FBI press release is here:

    http://washingtondc.fbi.gov/dojpressrel/pressrel08/wfo072108.htm

--