Re: is there a problem with php script pulling HTML out of database as it writes the page??

On 17 Jul 2008, at 15:31, David Giragosian wrote:

On 7/17/08, Stut <stuttle@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On 17 Jul 2008, at 14:10, tedd wrote:

At 10:28 PM +0100 7/16/08, Stut wrote:

Oh, and you'd be working for me so bear that in mind ;)

-Stut

It's no wonder why you haven't found anyone.  :-)

Thanks for that tedd.

Seriously though, I'm wondering if my expectations are too high... I expect
them to know that addslashes is not adequate protection against SQL
injection. I even had one tell me "SQL injection? I can't remember but I'm sure I've used it before". And I won't even go into the guy who asserted that he's always worked with DB administrators who've dealt with security
issues so he'd never needed to learn about it.

Am I expecting too much?!?

-Stut

Surely you're being rhetorical, Stut, but no, you're not expecting too much. However the guy(s) who worked in a larger organization likely did have a very clear delineation of roles and responsibilities, as I am experiencing in a new position, and therefore may not be current on best practices in areas outside of their role. When my group leader instituted the current policy regarding job functions, a number of the open source guys decided their unused skills were eroding and/or they were not being exposed to new
learning, and they left the company.

There's no way I would ever hire anyone who says "security was somebody else's responsibility". I don't care what their previous managers have said, that's never a valid statement in my book. When you then add the fact that no DB admin no matter how good they are can implement adequate security to prevent SQL injection you get a developer who doesn't care about security issues much less know anything about them.

-Stut

--
http://stut.net/