RE: OT - RE: [PHP] scalable web gallery

At 5:01 PM -0500 7/11/08, Boyd, Todd M. wrote:
Don't get me wrong--I enjoyed the class very much. I had never seen
sorting algorithms outside of the Bubble Sort, so learning Pivot, Shell,
etc. was quite a blast.

I used to hang with a bunch of Macintosh software developers. It was brought to discussion about which sort would be best and everyone submitted theirs. I won the competition with a Quicksort. They all wow'ed about how fast it was, but I told them I didn't want to improve on it any more because I was afraid if I did, it would go back in time.

Self-balancing data trees and such were a real
eye-opener as to the power of data structures, too.

Self-balancing data trees were one of my favorites -- I even wrote a Macintosh application showing the operation of a splay binary-tree, as seen here (for those who have Macs):

http://sperling.com/freeware.php

A splay is based upon how often a search is preformed for a specific item. The more often the search, the closer the item appears toward the top of the tree -- thus less time to find it. The up and downside of the splay is that the tree is balanced each time a search is preformed -- requiring more time to balance it, but less time to find the item -- kind of a trade-off that works for some situations. I am sure that many search engines use a similar approach.

I'm just... glad I don't have to learn it all over again in a classroom
environment. :)

Not me, I would love to be in a classroom again. You would think that three degrees would burn me out, but just the opposite, I can't get enough of this stuff -- I'm constantly reading and programming everything I can lay my hands on.

The only downside of the classroom environment is that I can honestly learn more from this group et al than I can in a classroom. I just don't see academia keeping up with technology. By time the instructors prepare their class-notes, their class-notes are outdated -- or so is my perspective.

Cheers,

tedd

--
-------