RE: OT - RE: [PHP] scalable web gallery

At 12:31 AM -0400 7/11/08, Robert Cummings wrote:
On Thu, 2008-07-10 at 12:06 -0500, Boyd, Todd M. wrote:
 > tedd also sent me an e-mail that sparked a memory of mine... the
 b-trees, regardless of their efficiency, still assign each dir/file
 INode an identifying number. This number, obviously, can only get so
 large in the context of one b-tree object (i.e., a directory).

 In spite of this mental exercise, I do *NOT* miss my Data Structures &
 > Algorithms class. :)

Really? That along with distributed computing, and parallel computing
were my favourites... and here I am programming for the Web... I guess
it's distributed ;)

Cheers,
Rob.

Todd and Rob:

I understand.

But, I'm more inclined to agree with Rob, I actually *DO* miss Algorithms and such. There are great minds out there and it's nice to be able to touch their genius.

As for favorites, I liked digital filters, FFT, ray theory, computed surfaces, and all versions of AI. I even developed an algorithm to explain why migrating birds fly in a V formation. Some exciting Geek stuff.

But here I sit programming the web and following a client's instructions "I don't like that 'Buy Button' in blue, make it red." I feel like a 45 that's being used to swat flies. But hey, we all can't be born rich and most of us have to work for a living. At least I have work. :-)

Cheers,

tedd

--
-------